Season’s greetings! 2023 has been another full year at Yarborough Applegate. As we reflect on recent months and remember what brought us to this season, we want to extend our deepest gratitude to our clients for trusting us to help during their time of need.
Most recently, we announced news of a landmark jury verdict against Amazon that has implications in courts across the country. After two tireless years, we’re thrilled to close 2023 ignited by the prospect that a single case should make roads nationwide safer for the motoring public.
We’re proud of this hard-earned win, and as we prepare to unwind for the holidays, we are taking time to truly cherish two of our most constant pillars: the supportive people around us and the incredible community we’re fortunate to call home. It’s thanks to both that we have the drive, resources, and vision to do our best legal work, every single day.
So, as we close the books on 2023, we wanted to take a moment to recognize the dedicated and passionate team here at Yarborough Applegate, and share some of our longstanding community partners you might be inspired to support this season of giving.
GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND: AN INDUSTRY-LEADING TEAM
Yarborough Applegate is the product of passionate people who are driven by a shared belief: that everyone deserves to live their fullest, healthiest lives and be safe in the places they work, visit, and live. From our fervent team of trial lawyers to our meticulous paralegals and ever-supportive front office staff, a dynamic collective makes our world go round.
This year, we often had the opportunity to share experience-proven perspectives and best practices in professional journals, at conferences, and through CLEs. In 2023, our team of lawyers presented to peers on insurance bad faith, catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases, dram shop liability, depositions and discovery techniques, mediation strategies, workplace injury, traumatic brain injury cases, nursing home injury cases, premises liability cases, and trucking / tractor trailer wreck cases.
In the South Carolina Association for Justice’s Justice Bulletin, attorney Perry Buckner educated peers on the dangers that South Carolina’s Senate Bill 533 poses for victims of drunk driving. A leading paralegal publication featured Caitlin Clancy’s advice on “Finding Calm in the Chaos” and Shene Hawks’ best trial-prep tips. And we were again on the ground at SCAJ’s Annual Convention. We were also thrilled to see Liam Duffy named the South Carolina Bar’s 2022–2023 Young Lawyer of the Year!
Explore coverage of our team’s ongoing legal industry leadership on our blog.
CREATING A STRONGER COMMUNITY, TOGETHER
Our firm aspires to help build safer, healthier communities every day through our legal practice and ongoing involvement in local, mission-based organizations. This year, we continued to support WakeUp Carolina, most recently at its fundraising Giving Breakfast, sponsored Neighbors Together’s 40th Birthday Bash, and sponsored Dee Norton’s Hope Grows Here Dinner Auction. We also built on our longstanding partnership with MADD South Carolina as a sponsor of its Law Enforcement Recognition Dinner and Training Symposium and Walk Like MADD.
This holiday season, we hope you will join us in contributing to one of these worthy causes—or any organization that is helping effect positive change in your community.
• MADD South Carolina: Supports victims of drunk and drugged driving.
• WakeUp Carolina: Extends resources and support to individuals and families facing addiction and substance abuse disorder at no cost to them.
• Neighbors Together: Provides critical social services in the greater Charleston, South Carolina, area.
• Dee Norton Child Advocacy Center: On a mission to prevent abuse, protect children, and heal families.
• Quest in Recovery: Connects young adults to mentors and recovery allies to strengthen mental well-being.
• Camp Happy Days: Offers local children with cancer cost-free access to programs and special events.
• Share Our Suzy: Raises money and resources to assist and support breast cancer patients from diagnosis to remission.
• Communities in Schools: Works to unlock the potential of South Carolina’s students.
• Crisis Ministry Health Center: Extends aid to the unhoused.
• Southern Environmental Law Center: Protects the basic right to clean air, clean water, and a livable climate.
• One80 Place: Works to end and prevent homelessness.
A YEAR TO REMEMBER
It’s safe to say that 2023 has been a year to remember for the Yarborough Applegate team. To all of our clients, friends, and families: we wish you health and happiness in this holiday season, and hope that the New Year brings peace and joy. After enjoying this respite with our loved ones, we’re looking forward to another year of tirelessly pursuing justice for our clients.